Monday, February 18, 2013

Tech 2: gruesome self portrait with photoshop layers

Tech 2: gruesome self portrait with photoshop layers

       man,  had a heck of a lot of fun on this project. well, i eventually did, at any rate. initially, i felt kinda stymied by this otherwise seemingly simple assignment. while i'm comfortable taking simple self-portraits with my cell phone (a legitimate camera in itself), it was an entirely different experience, training my DSLR on myself - especially using manual focus lenses. i had to set up a dummy to get my camera focused, was short on decent lighting, and found myself challenged by a number of other difficulties experienced while shooting alone. i thought about going somewhere else to shoot my portrait, but decided on staying at home- the load in my backpack was too great for me to want to bike it anywhere. while sitting alone in my room, watching walking dead, i realized that it might be fun to try my hand at making myself look like a zombie. although i had seen that AMC has an online application that allows one to "zombifie" themselves, i figured that this would be a good chance to apply my understanding of layer masks, the liquify tool, and other photoshop tricks i'd acquired previously. after several hours, a number of stock-image resources, and a six-pack of locally-brewed oat sodas, i think i did a decent job. but i'll you be the judge of that.


later this semester, i'll be giving a presentation on how to use photoshop and lightroom to produce a similar image. i can provide plenty of resource images for those interested in trying their hand at it as well.

1 comment: